Sunday, January 28, 2018

Voices of North Korean refugees event last night

I am not sure how it came together but ENoK out of Chicago was hosted by the North Korea Study Group of Harvard and was completely free of charge and open to the public.

I was surprised how many turned out to this event. well over 100 with standing room only for many.

Take a look.


Grace gave an interview with Andrew Hong of ENoK (emancipate North Koreans) and she spoke briefly about her life in North Korea, how she defected and her aspirations for the future. 
I was not able to get any footage of the interview because I somehow managed to get a seat but at that angle, was not able to record the interview.
The event will be posted up soon on the ENoK facebook site I guess


Next was the dance called Home Sweet Home performed by Flora Hyoin Kim, Bona Lee and Justin Han.
It was a really professional performance which was designed to portray the love-hate relationship between North and South but underneath it all, the deep desire to become a united Korea again because in the end, they really are one family.
a nicely done statement in the art form.



Anyway, here is some not too good footage from my vantage point but you can get some idea.
This is the first part of the act conveying the division between North and South


Here is the second part conveying the unity of North and South


These two clips are where the performers introduce themselves and Flora explain the meaning of the dance performance.
It is broken up into two clips and not complete but you can get the idea



There was a 10-minute break and I managed to get a better spot.

The last part of the event was several music performances.
here is a part of the song Mountain Flower sung by Yeongeun Kim
really nicely done. 
I should have gotten the whole song but for some reasons I didn't. maybe my arm was getting tired.


On the way out I was lucky to bump into Grace and thanked her for the work she is doing.
it was a good night and I am very glad I went.

You can see the entire event program here which goes into more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

French photographer published a book of photographs about North Korean daily lives

French photographer, Stephan Gladieu, published a book of photographs about North Korean daily lives, but the photographer had to take pictu...